Thursday, September 1, 2011

New beginnings

Hi everyone!

My flight to Japan was VERY eventful.  Just want to point out that it was really a surprise when I met Jason and Zoey on the plane, and our seats were even all together!  Also a surprise to see Genevieve on the plane too!

The flight wasn't too bad at all, besides the fact I got a random nosebleed due to the change in air pressure.  ^__^

Once we arrived to Nagoya, it was already dark.  Looking outside, there seems to be a lot of apartment complexes, so I assume the area will be quiet . . . besides that over 100 students live in dorms around here.  :)  As usual, the roads are narrower than the ones in America.

The dormitory I'm staying in is called Nanzan Yamazato Koryu Kaikan.  So far, it seems that only a small group of people have moved in so far - but more are to come tomorrow!  Everyone is really nice and friendly.  We all speak casually (so not what JSL prepares you for).  The Japanese people made us curry for dinner, and we all sat together and talked while we ate.  Lisa and I - the ones who just moved in that night - asked questions about various of things around the house, and Yuka explained our schedule for the next week.  It was a really pleasant atmosphere - everyone was just relaxed and open to getting to know each other.  The other international students living here come from everywhere: Holland, Korea, America . . . Lisa's from France too!  So obviously, language barriers and so Japanese is the one common language here.  English is used too, since everything's either in Japanese or English, but I have a feeling that we won't be using it that much, for obvious reasons.  :-P

I'm living in a single with A LOT  of room.  There's a ton of shelves and drawers for all my stuff.  The closet is huge - bigger than the ones I used in America.  O_O  Crazy, right?  I can fit my suitcase, all my clothes, shoes and the extra blanket I was given all in there - I could probably put everyone I brought in there actually.  ^_^ The hallway and staircase are spacious, and there's 2 baths for each floor to share.  My biggest problem so far was trying to not wet up the common bathroom (basically keeping that clean).  I have my own toilet, which I'm super grateful for!  ^__^

That's it for now.  Typhoons are coming this weekend, so I'll be staying indoors probably a lot.  ^_-

1 comment:

  1. Things to do at first In Nagoya!

    1. Visit Nagoya castle, one time is enough.
    2. Go shopping at Sakae, Osu area, and also find some nice bar or restaurant to hag around, Aussie bar "Red Rock" in Sakae is nice.
    3. Wait and see the summer is over. Autumn and Spring are the best

    ReplyDelete