Sunday, September 18, 2011

Church

This morning, a roommate and I went to church.  He was the one who found it and was interested at first to go - the Mustard Seed Church.  Their website was very clear on what they were about and where they were.  We were both really grateful that they had video directions of how to get to the place.  :)


The church is a young plant - I heard it was only a couple years old.  The meet at a dance studio in Tsurumai.  Inside the studio looked like something out of a movie - the studio itself was elevated a bit so you had to step up to it from the entrance way.  Shoes at the entrance way were being scattered a bit from the children running around with the parents.  On the right there was a cubby area to put your bags in, and chairs around the back for people to sit and chat.  In front of the studio was where the band set up their equipment, as well as dividers to block the mirrors (just so the audience didn't have to look at their faces during the sermon).  Two roles of chairs could probably sit about 40 people - the average number of people who show up.  On the left next to the staircase leading up to a small second landing was a vending machine . . . And on the second landing was a small area to sit and eat snacks.

Upon arrival, we were immediately welcomed warmly by various of people.  The church seems to be mainly young American families and Japanese families.  It was really amazing to talk to these people - many of them came to Japan without really studying the language before.  One woman even came - because of an internship with the church - without ever studying Japanese, and had to start right at the beginning at her Japanese language school.  Many of the American families seemed to still be at school, or recent graduate.  I dare say there was no one over 30 or something there (but I'm not the best at guessing people ages).  All the children were still very young - no one over the age of 11 in my opinion.  A couple wives were even pregnant.

It was really nice to talk to them - they all seemed to genuinely wonder who me and my friend were.  We both kept on introducing ourselves to them, explaining that we were both Chinese American or Chinese Canadian students at Nanzan University studying Japanese.  This was also the first time, I think, in Japan that I ever had some mistake me as a Japanese (but not because of my speaking skills).  Many of them, as I said before, came from America, but from what I could tell would probably move to Nagoya permanently. 

The service started late, which is normal for them because they always want to wait until most people come.  The singspiration was absolutely cool - Hillsong translated and gave them song lyrics in Japanese for them.  I was told that that is the reason why they mostly sing Hillsong songs.  Singing with everyone made me very nostalgic for 4C back in Ohio, because besides the fact that people would sing in Japanese and English, it was the same kind of worship as 4C.  Apparently many of the members of the worship team were also really good - two of the Japanese musicians were even professionals or something, one American could play almost every instrument.  During the worship, one of the interns handed me a sheet of paper with today's verses in English and Japanese.

After the singspiration, the main pastor spoke with an interpreter next to him.  His sermon today was about revenge, and he strongly focused on how it's easy to understand that we shouldn't take revenge and turn the other cheek, even help out our enemies when they need it, but it's hard to act on.  He gave many examples of how we take revenge as well, and referred to different Bible verses (without actually mentioning which verses they came from).  The interpreter did a really good job from what I could tell, although there were sometimes that he had a hard time translating (like "hinder" or some kanji).  However, that just made the sermon even more enjoyable.  No one took the mistakes seriously, and it just added to the flavor and the harmonious feeling that I had being there.

After the service, we talked to even more people.  Unlike 4C, this church didn't introduce newcomers, but people immediately came up to us to talk, knowing we were new.  Every person invited us up to eat some snacks, which we eventually did.  In the end, both me and my roommmate had a great time there, and plan on going next week as well.  :)

Even though this church is small, I have a feeling that their fellowship is strong.  They also are very loving and don't mind too much that there are some irregulars.  From what I heard, it's because people can become very busy and cannot always come to service.  However, they didn't explain this with any disapproving tone, which really appealed to me.  I'm really excited to see them next week!



On the side note - went on my first run today.  It was pretty good, but there are a ton of hills around here.  Plus, I went into a neighborhood and ALMOST got lost (I knew where I was generally, but not specifically).  However, after I ran, I felt really good and like I was getting into shape.  That's why I ask that if it's possible, you all also do your best to stay healthy!  Even a small walk around the neighborhood can be really relaxing and let you enjoy where you are.  :)  Plus, for those who are going on a very important walk (like you, mom and Andrea), think of it as training!  ^__^

I also would like to inform you all that I've registered for an introductory course on Japanese sign language through Nanzan University's extension college.  It's really easy - only meets a total of 5 times for about an hour and a half.  Recently, I've been developing an interest in the Japanese deaf community (or deaf community in general).  So, for one of my classes (Fieldwork Research Methods in Japan), my project is on Japanese Sign Language.  Wish me luck that somehow I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment