Friday, September 9, 2011

Banks and Odori

Today, I had to go to the post office and the bank - they were probably the most challenging places to try to communicate with Japanese people.  Not that the people were not friendly, but since it was a formal and professional environment, there was even more pressure to perform well.

At the post office, I had to set up a postal savings account, which is how my scholarship (MEXT) would send me my monthly stipend.  While writing out my form, I once again made mistakes.  It may not sound like a big deal, but I heard that filling out forms in Japan can be meticulous because you have to be perfect.  People will have extra copies of a form so just in case they do make a mistake, they can toss it out and start on a new one.  However, I usually only receive one form, and I don't go slow enough to stop myself from making my silly mistakes (like putting my name in the wrong order).  Even though it's a small mistake, I think it's something that I should be able to correct while I'm here.

Also, I don't know my area well, so I decided to take the subway just to go to the next train stop, which isn't all that far.  From there, I couldn't find the right bank to go cash my travelers checks.  A bit tired, I just went into the first bank I saw and lo and behold, they couldn't do traveler checks.  Or at least, not American ones; it was probably a local bank that wasn't used to having foreigners.  The next bank I went to was Mitsubishi (think that's the name), one of the biggest banks I've ever seen.  At both banks, I was immediately assisted, but at this one they actually could do foreign checks.  Communicating with the teller my reason of coming was easy enough, but I'm sure that if I was better at Japanese the process and conversation could've been smoother.  None the less, I'm very thankful that they could help me - my teller was very patient and easily explained each step in the process.

Tonight, I went to see the Nishikawa-ryu Odori Company perform their annual performace of Nagoya Odori.  It's a traditional Japanese dance and theatre that has been held at the same theatre since 1945.  I was supposed to go with a friend, but unfortunately she couldn't come.  While I waited for her though, I did get to observe the lobby area.  Huge barrels of what I think was rice was stacked up like blocks, and a whole bunch of flowers consisting of different types of lilies, orchids and roses bordered the lobby area.  From what I could tell, they were gifts from sponsors or other important companies.  There were also many stalls to buy omiyage (souvenirs people by for their friends, co-workers or family), try out wine or food, buy roasted chestnuts, and a concession stand on each story.  I read on a sign that a 2nd floor ticket is about 3,100 ¥ and a 1st floor ticket over 6,000¥.  O__O  I was completely floored by how many tickets Nanzan University gave out for free to us (30 tickets).  Hearing that made me want to get the most that I could from the performance.

And I'm super glad I went because it was just spectacular!  Every performer's movement was very deliberate, and there was no excess to their actions.  It was what I would say a clean performance.  The company's president also performed a lot - and you could tell that everyone was amazed by his dancing and acting abilities.  I especially noticed that basically the only prop used was a fan, and it would change from being just a fan, to a cup or whatever they needed it to be.  The audience could tell immediately what the fan was just by the way the actors and actresses moved or held it.  Of course, there were other props, especially towards the end where they did a contemporary piece (complete with falling flower petals from the ceiling, and having the performers go into the audience to make them clap their hands).  Overall, I'm super glad I came, even if my friend couldn't come.  Seeing the Nagoya Odori really topped off my night.

Afterwards as I walked back to the station, I took a couple pictures the place I was in (Sakae).  Sakae is basically the entertainment district - the place to have fun.  The train ride to and from were fine, because I checked my train map constantly to make sure I was on the right train and when my stop was coming next.  On the way back I could tell that around 8-9 o'clock is when company workers leave to go home.  Definitely the train was filled with these office workers, all looking super tired from a long day at the company or office.

I leave now, with a note that I now have a prepaid phone!  Calling me is super expensive - I only have 30 minutes of talking time for 2 months, but I have unlimited mail, so I wonder if you can send me mail at: tifahoho@softbank.ne.jp
If not, use my e-mail!

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment